My partners step-grandma Jade, Croatian born now spends each year between Los Angeles, Croatia, Cruise Ships & Adelaide. She is the Gnocchi, Goulash & Strudel Queen.
Her hot tip to making Potato Gnocchi: old dirty potatoes, buy them months before you’re ready to make them. The dryer the potato the better.
Jade’s Gnocchi How-To’s:
- Approx 2 potatoes per person.
- Boil potatoes with their jackets on.
- Once boiled, peel off skins.
- Using a potato ricer, squash them all.
- Depending on the amount your making, 1 - 2 eggs, glug of olive oil & healthy pinch of salt.
- Work in part semolina, part plain flour until it comes to a “not wet” consistency.
- Roll into “sausage” logs & cut into 1.5 - 2cm lengths.
- After cutting, have them separated on either baking trays or wooden boards.
- Using the back of a grater or gnocchi paddle use your thumbs to roll the gnocchi over.
- In batches drop into boiling water.
- Once the gnocchi rise to the surface & “do a little shimmy” on the boiling water scoop out and serve with goulash, red sauce or burnt butter & sage.
So, buy your potatoes now folks & they’ll be ready for your winter gnocchi adventures!